David M. Royston
- Director & Officer
David M. Royston was born in Hartford, Connecticut. He graduated cum laude from Fairfield University in 1961 and obtained his law degree from Georgetown University in 1964. Upon being admitted to the Bar of the State of Connecticut in 1964, he joined the firm as an associate. He became a Principal in 1970. Mr. Royston is a past President of the firm.
Mr. Royston has resided in Old Saybrook, CT since 1965 and has practiced from the firm's Old Saybrook office continuously since that date. Mr. Royston is a general practitioner who practices in the areas of real estate, business, municipal and land use law. He has been Town Counsel to the Town of Essex since 1973. He also represents the Old Lyme Zoning Board of Appeals, the Chester Planning and Zoning Commission and Deep River Zoning Board of Appeals on behalf of the firm.
In addition to representing municipal clients, Mr. Royston also represents private clients before Old Saybrook land use boards, as well as those of many other towns including Westbrook, Haddam, East Haddam, Killingworth and Lyme. These clients include individuals and companies, Big Y Supermarkets, Cumberland Farms, Dunkin' Donuts, Lyman Real Estate Companies, as well as, non profits such as HOPE Partnership.
Mr. Royston and his wife reside in Old Saybrook and have four grown children. He has been a member of four Old Saybrook Charter Revision Commissions and is a former member and Chairman of the Old Saybrook Democratic Town Committee.
Mr. Royston has been selected for inclusion in Connecticut Magazine's Super Lawyers since 2007 and New England Super Lawyers since 2008 in the Land Use/Zoning Practice Area.
For more information on the Superlawyer selection process, please visit: http://www.superlawyers.com/connecticut/selection_details.html
Areas Of Practice
- Land Use And Zoning 40%
- Real Estate Law 20%
- Administrative And Appeals 15%
- State, Local And Municipal Law 15%
- Business And Commercial Law 10%
- Connecticut, 1964
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1964
- Fairfield University, Fairfield, Connecticut
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1961
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Government
- Lyman Real Estate Development Companies
- Caldarella Development Companies
- Town of Essex
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Magazine's Super Lawyers
- New England Super Lawyers
- Middlesex United Way community Service Award
- Boy Scouts Community Service Recognition Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, 1964 to Present
- Connecticut Bar Association, Planning and Zoning Section, Executive Committee Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Real Property Section, Member
- State of Connecticut Judicial Department, Attorney Trial Referee by Judicial Appointment
- Middlesex County Bar Association, Member, Past President
- Community Foundation got Middlesex County, Past Chairman of the Board
- HOPE Partnership (non-profit, housing), Advisory Board
- Member of Four Old Saybrook Charter Revision Commissions, Member
- Old Saybrook Democratic Town Committee, Former member and Chairman